Saturday 28 May 2016

BURGER WARS - FAT HIPPO UNDERGOUND

Girl needs some meat once in a while.

Megan and I took a little trip up to Newcastle the other week to try out some amazing foodie joints. A trip ain't a real trip if you ain't gonna eat like a king right?!

I read a quote just last night that I can really resonate with. 'Relationships are just two people constantly asking each other what they want to eat, until one of them dies.' Now this sounds morbid but please take this as light hearted as you can. This quote pretty much sums up my life, my relationship and my friendships. Why do we talk about food so gawd darn much or is this just my inner fat kid coming out? We had plans and I couldn't be any more excited to try out one of the newest burger bars in town Fat Hippo Underground.


Hidden underground on Shakespeare Street right in Newcastle's centre, you may want to book ahead for a reservation as this place gets busy and you will see exactly why when browsing though these photos.

I just love Newcastle because of all these little places where you can stop off at for a bite to eat or a cocktail. I was a little concerned as to how dark it would be inside as I do like to see what I am eating but this was a wonderful burger ambience if you ever did need one.




We were meeted and greeted and shown to our table. As we browsed the menu a lovely lady popped us over jug of water as we made our cocktail choices. We decided to try out the Naughty Slush's, a Summer Slush for me with gin, limoncello, and elderflower and a Candyfloss Slush for Megan.


I spied Mac n' Cheese Balls for a cheeky starter so they were obviously going to get squandered straight down. I love little bites like this as it doesn't make you too full but gets those tastebuds tangling. The bites came with a Alabama White BBQ sauce which was real tasty. This lined my tummy for the main event. 



Drum roll please, may I introduce you to 'The Stinky Pete". A yummy double patty topped with blue cheese, onion jam and jalapeƱos.

I was torn between two burgers I am not going to lie.



I was torn between said Stinky Pete and the PB&J. A double patty topped with chunky peanut butter, cheese and bacon jam. I know, I know, I am not doing this for attention, I just like to live a little you know. My choice for Mr Stinky Pete was confirmed by our lovely waitress Mercede, when she told us that this burger made her loose 2 stone after a break up by just eating these every day! Go you Mercede and go me for ordering the best burger on the flaming menu. I do not recommend eating your body weight in burgers as this is not clinically proven to cure heartache but you know. A burger or a boy? I know what I would pick over the other.


I can be a bit of a burger snob when I can be. I mean burger wars is still a thing with places trying to out do one another all the time. You can check out some of my burger wars posts here and here.

I do want to let you know that this was one of the best burgers I have ever tasted. Little Stinky Pete was cooked to perfection. The week before I had a burger fail while visiting Leeds and thought that I would not be able to stomach another one so soon but Mercede made sure that this was cooked to exactly how I wanted it to be and that girl is one of the reasons why we will most definately be back again.




Exposed brickwork lines this burger joint with miss matched tables and chairs, neon lighting and Falcon enamelware making for the most fantastic setting to chow down on a burger with your bestest. 

This is place is hip, this place is happening. Calm it grandma! But it really is. It is bang on trend right now and if they can knock out an above average burger then high fives to that.

The staff were attentive and you could tell they are passionate about the delights they have to offer. That makes a huge impact on an experience for me. So a huge hats off to all the staff at Fat Hippo Underground.

There is plenty I need to try out on that menu such as The Deep Fried Gherkins, a personal fave of mine and the Pecan Pie. 

I shall leave you now with a watering mouth. Grab your coats and head out for a burger this weekend, I know I will be.

Love Carli x

Instagram // Facebook // Twitter // Bloglovin' // Pinterest

*We were burger guests of Fat Hippo Underground but my love of burgers and brickwork are all my own.














Share:

3 comments

  1. Absolutely burger QUEENS us!! This trip was in the words of Tea Lady Pennie 'too much'. Bloody loved it. I want those slush cocktails all day every day please!!

    Megan xo
    Thumbelina Lillie | UK Beauty & Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. we love a good burger, a good beer a good anything really!! It really was 'too much' but I want a hell of a lot more 'too much's' this summer please! Loved spending a little weekend away with you my sweets x

      Delete
  2. Thanks carli, Its an well developed food post by you. That is great post. Nice article, thanks a lot an entire good best ice maker deal much for the given information.

    ReplyDelete

© THE TEA BEE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig