Friday 6 November 2015

JAM TREACLE TART BARS

Nothing gets me more in the mood for winter than a good old stodgy home baked pudding,

One of my favourites, along with bakewell tart has got to be a treacle tart.





I can even remember when I was a nipper, post bath time 1993, sat crossed legs in front of the goggle box watching baywatch. My mum was in the kitchen whipping up my favourite, treacle sandwiches, my choice not hers, I was a very demanding child!! All of this nutrition washed down with a glass of milk.

I used to love it when the treacle crusted and I was basically just crunching down on pure sugar - that was my Saturday night guilty pleasure, not much has really changed now I am an adult.

As bonfire night came and went last night without me really celebrating it apart from a few sparklers outside of Tea House HQ, I know cry me a river, but really, American Horror Story and my little pug dog were calling me.

All snuggled up in bed with some hot chocolate and a couple bars of this delight was all I needed last night.

I know you want them! I know you need them, and so you shall. They are super easy and just another one pot bake.

So here we have it without further ado...

Jam Treacle Tart Bars


What you will need..

1 sheet of ready rolled shortcrust pastry
750g golden syrup
175g breadcrumbs
120g rolled oats
1 lemon, zest and juice
3 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons raspberry jam
50g white chocolate

1 brownie tin

Here we go..

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.

Line your tin with parchment paper with another two long pieces in the shape of a cross so that it is easy of you to take your bake out when it has cooled.

Lay your pastry into the tin and add another sheet or parchment paper and blind bake.

If you don't know what that means, I actually didn't until a few months back, you pop in some baking beads (or our way - rice) and bake it so that the pastry doesn't shrink when you put in your filling. 

Genius, I know!


Bake for 20 minutes, like a genius with the beads (or rice) on top of the pastry, then remove and bake for a further 10 minutes.


While this is baking, add the syrup into a bowl.

Then add the breadcrumbs.


Pop in your rolled oats.


The zest and juice of your lemon. I told you this was easy.


Add in your beaten eggs.


Give it all a good mix around.


Until it looks a little something like this.


Now pop it into your pastry case and your ready to pop it in the oven.


Bake for 40 mins until golden brown and then try and let it cool.

Ta-Da!


Slice up your bars into your desired size. This recipe made a good 12 bars.





Always make sure you are super careful when taking hot trays out of the oven as they can be real burny.
My favourite has to be this Silhouette Oven Glove* from Proud & Co as it really covers all of my arm, not just my hands when reaching inside my oven.


It is a combination of silicone and neoprene which protects my hands from the blasting heat and is a firm favourite in the kitchen with the tea ladies. Perfect to hang up after use so we don't lose it. If you know me, I have the worst habit of losing EVERYTHING.


Slap on a bit of jam and melted white chocolate to really give this tart a kick.

I may bake the jam on top of the pastry next time to see how that works. Don't be afraid to experiment with your recipes and don't forget to tag us so we can see your yummy treacle bars.



I find it quite hard to crank out some new recipes over the winter period as the Tea House can be super, super busy with cakes orders shooting out left right and centre. We took on a brand new tea lady last month who is also a dab hand at baking up a storm and loves a good challenge. So a huge thank you to Jess for developing this recipe with me and taste testing too. Make sure you follow her on Instagram to see her yummy delights. You won't be disappointed.

What recipes would you like to to see us bake up next?

X
Share:

2 comments

  1. These look too good to be real! Ship some over to the states please <3
    xxx
    She Will Be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia you will NOT be disappointed!! I wish I could!! Try make them out over there if you can.. they are super easy x x

      Delete

© THE TEA BEE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig