Thursday 29 September 2016

NOTHING BUT // COCONUT ICED DOUGHNUTS


Right, that's it, I am doing it! I am going to bake up some doughnuts and eat every single one of them because life isn't fair sometimes and this girl needs all the doughnuts.


I love doughnuts as much as I love a challenge, Nothing But a challenge some might say.

I felt Nothing But delight when these little beauties popped though my letter box. It was like blooming Christmas. My postman didn't know what was going on.

I decided to give my brand new Savisto Retro Food Stand Mixer* a run for its money and bake up some Coconut Iced Doughnuts as I am told they are all the rage right now.

I have been in much need of a new mix machine these past few week as my trusty Kitchen Aid seems to getting far too much use down at Tea House HQ. As soon as this Savisto landed on my doorstep I could not be any more excited. I just couldn't wait to get mixing up some dough and coconut frosting for these damn Coconut Iced Doughnuts. What more could a cake filled girl ask for?

What you will need:

300g strong white bread flour
25g golden caster sugar
1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
2 eggs
75g butter
Vegetable oil
Salt


Let's go...


Pop the flour, sugar and half a teaspoon of salt into your mixer.



Add the yeast with 100ml of warm water to activate the process.



Add the eggs and butter and mix with a wooden spoon until it becomes a smooth sticky dough.



Just look at how beautiful my little mixer is, It is bright red like the blood running through my veins, it is the colour of my beating heart. Slow down poet C J Mac! I shall stick to the day job guys don't worry. I have been after a good old mixer for a while, and let me tell you, whip up a batch of salted caramel buttercream in this baby and there will be no going back.

Pop the dough into your mixer with the dough attachment and let it do the work for you for a good 10 minutes.



With the likes of Kitchen Aids coming in at around £400 you don't get the solid metal attachments with the Savisto Food Mixer. Doing just as a good job for a quarter of the price and a heck of a lot easier to move around being so lightweight, this little man has suckers on the bottom so it won't wobble off your counter top.

You want the rest of the recipe, I get it! Stop talking girl!

You want this dough stretchy so that your golden delights are as light as air when they are fried.

Give the bowl good clean and oil it slightly. Put the dough back into the bowl and turn it so it is coated in the good stuff. Wrap the bowl with a little cling film and set aside somewhere warm. I used to balance my bread on top of my radiator when I made I made bread . Living on the edge I know. Let the dough double in size for a good 2/3 hours.




Once it has risen or you are done mixing it to death, tip it onto a work surface and punch out any air bubbles.

Roll the dough out to about 2cm thick and use a 8cm cutter and stamp, stamp, stamp away.


Use a smaller, 2cm cutter to cut out the middles of your doughnuts.

Lay all your bits out onto 2 baking trays and cover with some lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for an hour until they double in size.

While you are waiting for your dreamy doughnuts to rise let's make up some icing. 

For the frosting:

80ml coconut milk
350g icing sugar
Pink, Green, Orange food colouring
Nothing But - Pineapple & Grape, Apple & Fig, Strawberry & Banana*


Mix the coconut milk and icing sugar in a bowl and divide into the 3 smaller bowls and drop in a little food colouring and mix into your desired shade.


Now, for the next part, you can half fill a deep fat fryer if you have one or fill a large pan with oil and heat to 180C. Please do be careful and do not leave it unattended.



When you are ready to fry have a tray lined with kitchen roll so you can transfer the piping hot nuts of dough onto a absorbent surface.

Cook each doughnut for 2/3 minutes each side until both sides are golden brown.




Dip your delights into the coloured frosting and top with whatever your wish. These freeze dried treats are a yummy addition and super colourful and fun too. What better way to pimp up your deep fried beauties?

Nothing But is a brand new spanking snack that contains nothing but goodness.

No added fat, sugar, salt, colour, preservatives and as they quote never, ever fried. I thought I would take this good snack and do the utter opposite.

6 tasty flavours from Pineapple and Grape to Apple and Fig to some savoury delights too such as Sliced Beetroot and Parsnip to Mange Tout and Red Pepper.



This recipe is a gift from me to you, adapted from last months BBC Good Food Magazine because Good Food is my bible.





Go take a peek at the Nothing But range and let me know which one tickles your fancy. Are you a sweet or savoury kinda person? I must admit I am bit of both.

Love Carli x

Instagram // Facebook // Twitter // Bloglovin' // Pinterest

Share:

1 comment

© THE TEA BEE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig