Thursday 11 August 2016

THE SHIP TAVERN // HOLBORN // WC2


There is nothing I like more than a good Sunday Roast. A Yorkshire Pudding can just top the weekend off and make Monday's seem like million miles away. I do like Monday's though, as they are my 'get shiz done' day but hey ho, grab a seat and lets get down to business.



A few weekends back Megan and I popped down to the big smoke for a weekend filled to the brim of activities and eating copious amounts of food of course.

We were lucky to have the chance to spend a Sunday lunchtime amongst the hustle and bustle of our capital city munching down on some roast beef and yorkie p's.



The Ship Tavern reminds me of a good old boozer that is well, well old. On further inspection and a good old google and while trying not to bore you with too much lardy da, The Ship Tavern has been hanging around being a beauty for more than 500 years. 

Hidden down a little side street in Holborn you will have to get your maps out for this as you really don't want to miss it.



As we were on our jollies and riding around on pubic transport without a care in the world and not having to be responsible to drive anywhere ourselves, we thought it would be rude not to opt for a glass of wine. Rose at that. See, we can be ladies sometimes and not pint guzzling northerners from Boro.


A couple of warm bread rolls to line our stomachs was the ultimate treat. A triple layer butter and pate concoction got my taste buds doing a right dance in my mouth. All home baked and let me tell you we were onto a winner.



Now, as I have said before I get the worst food envy you can imagine so we decided to half/half two roasts. That way we could have the best of both worlds. Melt in your mouth chicken and a slab of the tastiest beef.

Our plates were full to the brim with carrots, cabbage, sugar snaps, roasties and turnip, oh, and a cheeky bit of cauliflower cheese all topped off with the crunchiest Yorkshire Pudding. The gravy was just right, not to thick, and most certainly not lumpy and very, very tasty.


Did we have room for dessert? Of course we blooming did. Sticky toffee pud for me and a mean ass brownie for Miss Thumbelina Lillie.
Fit to burst sprung to mind but in a good way, like I could be rolled to Kings Cross to board my train no problems.

I have always been a massive fan of roasts as there is something so British about it. I love to go eat roasts with my family, my friends and as you can tell I have eaten a fair few in my time. Nanna Marge does a mean Cauliflower Cheese and has for sure roasted up upwards of 5,000 chickens in her lifetime. Yup, we did the maths.




This place is only small so you are best to grab a booking to make sure you get a pew, literally, a pew.  This place is decked out in them and they sure do look the park.The interior of this place is like being on a board a train in an episode of Poirot. The oil burning candles, stain glassed windows and mahogany walls are a true step back in time. 


Make sure you stop by for a roast next time you are in London or prepare to miss out on something every so delightful.

You can find The Ship Tavern at 12 Gate Street, Holborn, London, WC2A 3HP.

Love Carli x


*I was a lucky guest of The Ship Tavern for this post all opinions are my very own.

















Share:

1 comment

  1. I have heard SO many good things about this place - the roasts look divine. I'll definitely be firing over an enquiry about allergies and hopefully booking in once I move down to London in a few weeks! x

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

© THE TEA BEE | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig